Our trauma center provides specialized assessment services at our Yaounde and Bamenda clinic. We are also able to offer evaluation services in a residential setting for adolescents and young adults. Our assessment services are available to local, regional and national clients.
Specialized Treatment Services
Our highly trained staff and supervisors have broad experience providing trauma-informed therapy to a range of trauma survivors and their families, as well as expert consultation to agencies seeking to enhance their trauma-focused service delivery. Treatment and consultation are individualized based on the specific needs and preferences of each client/agency.
Specialized Treatment Approaches
Treatment typically begins with a careful evaluation to determine the relative contributions of trauma, temperament, biology, and other factors to each client’s presenting concerns and to help us gain a complete picture of each client’s strengths, resources, and areas of need. Based on this evaluation, and in close collaboration with the client, our clinicians develop an individualized treatment plan.
Our clinicians utilize an integrative approach to treatment that draws on psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, interpersonal/relational, experiential, family systems, and other clinical frameworks. Our general philosophy recognizes both the physiological and psychological impacts of trauma and the importance of paying attention to both through treatment that bridges mind and body. In addition, our clinicians have extensive training and experience in a variety of specialized treatment modalities, which may be integrated into treatment or offered on an adjunctive basis, as appropriate. These treatment approaches include:
For All Ages:
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR—Level II)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)-based Individual & Group Interventions & Coaching
- Expressive Art Therapy
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy approaches to trauma treatment
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy
- Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy (AEDP)
- Structured Approaches to the Treatment of Clinical Dissociation, including Internal Family Systems (IFS) and Ego-State therapy
- Trauma Center Trauma-Sensitive Yoga Services
- Attachment, Self-regulation, & Competency (ARC)
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy - Adaptations (PCIT-A)
- Sensory Motor Arousal Regulation Treatment (SMART)
Residential Evaluation Program
The trauma-focused evaluation service will include developmental, familial, trauma and treatment history, projective and personality testing, strengths and resources assessment, records review, collateral evaluation and initial treatment planning. Other optional assessments will be available including neuropsychological testing, educational testing, and vocational assessment. Over the course of the program, clients will receive trauma-focused individual psychotherapy with emphasis on establishment of foundational affect regulation skills and internalization of coping skills. Each client will receive individualized educational as well as recreational programming including opportunities for horseback riding, dance lessons, art classes, music instruction, and yoga. As appropriate, clients will be integrated into all academic, milieu and group programming. Clients/caregivers, and primary therapists will receive a comprehensive evaluation report that includes clinical formulation and recommendations for ongoing care following discharge.
Free Care Services
This program provides select free-care, trauma-focused services to eligible child and adult victims of crime and their significant others. Eligible individuals include victims of child abuse, physical and sexual violence, homicide and hate crimes.
General Services Program
- Screening, information, and referral
- General therapy services for children and adults who meet criteria
Child Abuse Program
- Screening, information and referral for child victims of sexual or physical abuse
- Therapy services for children who meet criteria
Caregiver Consultation and Groups
- Short-term consults for non-offending caregivers of child victims of sexual or physical abuse or other crimes
- Skills-based groups for caregivers of child victims of sexual or physical abuse or other crimes
Workshops and training to foster care and adoption agencies is also available regarding trauma and adoption-related issues such as:
- Understanding the impact of trauma.
- The importance of permanency for children involved in the child welfare system.
- How to support attachment with children who have experienced trauma.